I guess I probably shouldn’t be surprised at the anti-intellectualism, unseriousness, and crassness of the mainstream media. But I really thought this article, highlighted on the front page of CNN.com, took the cake:
I mosey into the ladies’ room, glance at the mirror, remind myself that fluorescent lights make everyone look as if they’re in the final stages of tuberculosis, and head for a stall. And then I see it: The seat, even the floor, is covered in little yellow droplets. The Tinkler strikes again.
Even worse are the Story “highlights”:
- Women’s bathroom is defiled by The Tinkler
- Columnist tries to figure out who’s guilty of peeing on seat
- Decides she is “aggressively mean-spirited, mole-like cavewoman”
- Writer yearns for modicum of civility, a touch of class, or supply of Lysol
As if this is an actual, legitimate news story! For example, the Story Highlights for a Myanmar cyclone piece were as follows:
- U.N. has started getting food aid but so far it is only the first step of huge job
- NEW: Survivor tells how wall of water left bodies in trees, bushes and streams
- More than 22,000 killed and 41,000 missing, Myanmar radio reports
- U.S. President Bush says Navy is ready to help if asked
There you go: The state of an individual women’s bathroom and a barely literate “journalist’s” opinion thereof is the given the same treatment as a humanitarian disaster in which more than 22,000 people have died. I should interject here that this wonderful story was brought to us by that benevolent Obama sponsor / former crack smoker, Oprah Winfrey, and her hubristically eponymous magazine.
We have an illegal, unjustified, and undeclared war that’s been raging for longer than WWII, in which innocents are being murdered on a daily basis, hundreds of billions of dollars are being destroyed, and wealth is being redistributed from American taxpayers to military-industrial complex barons, international bankers, and foreign governments — but we give a higher priority to office “tinklers” than any of that. I really do understand why Reverend Jeremiah Wright said “God Damn America!” Has there ever been an Empire quite so decadent?
I tried reading Susan Jacoby’s The Age of American Unreason and found it to be unpalatable liberal-statist garbage. But the general thesis that Americans are dumbed down by the government and its propagandists in the media and public school system (though Jacoby would balk at the latter of these being characterized as such) is right on the money. I find it harder to live among my peers with each day that goes by.