And, yes, that reference to the signing of the U.S. Constitution is deliberately ambiguous.
Whether you think the Constitution was a step toward a new and better type of governance or a step back from the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation, you probably will agree that a government that follows the U.S. Constitution is a durn sight better than anything we’ve got going now.
At the very least it’s a good excuse for a Constitution Day picnic!
But Constitution Day presents another great opportunity. If you’ve been feeling a bit overwhelmed politically (and/or otherwise) lately, and haven’t been able to get as much activism accomplished as you’d like to have gotten accomplished, today is Your Day.
Here’s how the memory of the Constitution can make even an anarchist happy:
- The Constitution was signed in 1787.
- You want to help your favorite candidate or libertarian cause.
- You’re working too hard at your job to drive to NH and knock on doors with Morey Straus, or fly to NC and hang out at the XYZ County Fair with Mike Munger. That makes you sad.
- Since you’re working so hard, you can easily enough afford $17.87. Heck, maybe you can even afford $178.70, or $1,787.00.
- Giving the money to a favorite candidate or libertarian cause will make you feel better. Happy, even! Take-my-word-for-it, I Know These Things. But it won’t cure your acne, so save some coins for the chemical stuff.
Pick a good one, so you won’t have buyer’s remorse! In case anyone is interested and wants a suggestion or three, my current favorites for giving are (in no particular order – and focusing on candidates because it’s That Time of Year):
Mike Munger – Libertarian for Governor in NC. Mike’s campaign is teaching the LPNC folks incredible things about organizing.
Paul Elledge – County Commission in NC. Paul’s got the message, man! And he’s taking it to the County Fair!
Morey Straus – Libertarian for State House in NH. Morey’s busting ass for the Side of Right! You’ve heard he is, and you can believe every word of it! That man wins the Sore Feets for Freedom Award!
And, OK, one non-candidate cause I can’t resist – for all you determined apolitical political activsits out there (oh, the moral travails of the anarchist activist… I do feel your pain, comrades!):
Rational Review News Digest (check out the funky fund-o-meter!)
I’m sticking with these, because I don’t want to dilute the message. There are many others! So off with you. And, err, off with me, because I’ve just remembered I haven’t yet sent Paul the $17.87!