The following is reproduced with the permission of the author, Jacqueline Passey.
I am delighted to discover that Ruth Bennett is running for LNC Chair and proudly watched her debate on C-SPAN tonight. Although I feel lukewarm about our Presidential nomination candidates, I am enthusiastic and excited about Ruth Bennett’s candidacy for national party chair.
I had the great pleasure of working with Ruth within the Libertarian Party of Washington State during my 2000-2006 involvement (before I moved away). She is a hard-working fair-minded long-time activist who knows how to get shit done.
Some of Ruth’s credentials:
- Libertarian Party member and activist for 30 years
- Has been the parliamentarian for the Libertarian Party of Washington for many years and is *very* good at it (so you know she knows how to run an effective, productive, fair meeting)
- Has served a wide variety of positions within the party, including most recently as the former Chair of the Libertarian Party of Washington State
- Has run for office as a Libertarian 5 times
- Her 2000 campaign for Lieutenant Governor, in which she advocated simply abolishing the useless office and all its related expenses, resonated so successfully with Washington voters that she won the highest vote percentage of any Libertarian candidate in a three-way statewide race in Washington’s history
- Very experienced with ballot access issues, including successfully lobbying the legislature to change ballot access laws
- A zillion other accomplishments that I don’t remember or know about because she’s been involved in the Party longer than I’ve been alive
Ruth Bennett will be a very effective leader of the national party. She has the right balance of principled libertarian ideology and interview skills necessary to be the external “face” to the media as well as the organizational skills to lead the party’s internal operations. She also has the diplomatic and people skills necessary to heal the rift between the different factions, bring back people who have left the party, and unite all of us in our common cause of liberty.
If any delegates are reading this before the vote (nudge) I implore you to please cast your vote for Ruth Bennett for LNC Chair. You will be so proud of all that we will accomplish under her leadership.
Jacqueline Passey is the former Executive Director of the Washington state Libertarian Party, and former LP candidate for Washington Secretary of State. Blog enthusiasts likely remember her from her 2006 blog entry covering the Nevada LP presidential debates, amusingly titled “Two whackjobs, a convicted felon, and George Phillies”. That blog entry set into motion a short-lived “memogate”, in which a memo from then-LP Executive Director Shane Corey, referencing her blog and asking whether the LP can offer better candidates, was leaked into the blogosphere.
Ms. Passey lives in Las Vegas with her husband and dachsunds, and is currently working on her Master’s Degree at UNLV. Her current blog is “Jacqueline Gets Her Geek On”.
Be sure to bookmark this link to to her political posts, and check back often for her continuing convention gossip updates.